Long-Term Care | If You are Unhappy with your Care

Article Image

If you’re unhappy with your long-term care living arrangement, proper recourse may require filing an official complaint. Typically, complaints fall into two categories: urgent and non-urgent.

Urgent complaints include anything that could put a senior in harm’s way or a state of neglect. Non-urgent complaints include any non-threatening but subpar aspect of the care received, such as meal, activity, or personal care quality.

Complaints in either category are handled differently. Urgent complaints are usually taken up by the Ministry of Health or another administrative body. For non-urgent complaints, it’s best to contact facility management directly to address your concerns.

Different provinces may also have a dedicated support line for long-term care-related issues. Contact your local officials to find out if there’s one available in your region.